Demo Site

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 112 - Freelensing

I stumbled upon this technique on the web and decided to give it a shot today. Wow, its really interesting trying to implement this. I haven't felt this sudden surge of learning urge in a while.

The idea behind freelensing is that by doing so you can actively select your focus plane and also reduce the minimum focus distance normally afforded by your lens.

If you're interested in using this (I think it only works on dSLR's) you have to know the possible side-effects of freelensing. Exposing your sensor, while the camera is on, increases the likelihood of it attracting dust and getting dirty. Detaching your lens from your camera while shooting is also a really good way of initiating a slow-motion lens-drop sequence that you will have the joy of replaying in your head over and over again thinking "why the hell did I do that". You have been forewarned.

Anywho, here are a few shots that I got while messing about with it today. I'm going to hopefully find some willing subjects (or go incognito and stealth shoot some people) and compare the effects on portraits.

0 comments:

Post a Comment